Even when we are growing, if we are in the midst of change and uncertainty we can lose sight of our direction. One way to stay focused on the vision of your future is to keep it in front of you on a daily basis and continue growing in the areas you most need to grow.
Knowing yourself well enough to know where you most need to grow to get to where you want to be... is the key!
In the second chapter of 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth we find the Law of Awareness which says, you must know yourself to grow yourself. This combination gives us direction if we apply it to our life. To help us understand this at a deeper level John Maxwell shares the following 3 types of people when it comes to finding direction:
The first step...
When I (Cindy) first studied the Law of Awareness in the 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth by John Maxwell, I realized the more quality questions we ask ourselves - about us- the deeper an awareness we can obtain of who we are, where we are, and where we want to go.
Not everyone likes questions and has a natural curiosity like I do. But since the Law of Awareness says, You Must Know Yourself to Grow Yourself, we have to start with us. And no one knows us better than we know ourselves! If introspective questions are not your thing that's okay. We don’t have to like the steps and stretches it takes to grow but we do have to take intentional action in the right areas to grow. And I promise the growth you obtain along the way will be worth your effort!
A good first question to ask yourself is, who are you? Since we must know ourselves in order to grow, asking who you really are will help you identify things about yourself you may otherwise overlook or take for granted.
In our microwave society, the majority of the messaging that seems to come at us on a daily basis whirls around the ideas of bigger, faster, and stronger… Before I go on, please understand just how much those messages resonate with my HIGHLY DRIVEN approach to everything I see, touch, do, and even consider! That said, a healthy portion of reality like I choked down when I tried running that mile can often help us keep things in the proper perspective.
Once we can come to terms with ourselves and accept that we’ll rarely accomplish anything significant right off the bat, then we develop dogged consistency with the action steps we can actually follow through on moving forward, we should have a solid foundation in place to build from. But as I mentioned in the last post, thinking there won’t be times where we land in the ditch on one side of the path or the other is just as unrealistic as me thinking I could walk out on that track and magically run a full mile at a...
Apparently the last post sharing my near-death experience during that less than half mile run was somewhat amusing… Not only did I receive a few direct email responses about the humor folks were able to find in my stupidity, I heard Cindy laughing uncontrollably from the other side of the house as she read it. I suppose she’s earned the right to laugh at me since she had a front row seat when it happens, and she’s tolerated so many similar instances!
So that was clearly an example setting an unrealistic goal that I was in no way prepared to even come close to achieving, but there are times where sticking with even the best laid plans to reach modest goals can get incredibly hard. In each of the last few posts on this topic, I’ve continued to call attention to the importance of consistency. I won’t be varying from that here either!
I learned about habits more than twenty years ago through the work I was doing with behavior-based safety. Sure, I...
It was a bit shocking to learn 95% of all people never take action on their intentions. And many of the remaining 5% that do take action, never take action on the things that will get them the results they're after! I remember soberly thinking, that is nearly everyone. Wait a minute...that is me! There were plenty of things I was not taking action on that I knew would move me forward in life. I was the person holding me back.
When I (Cindy) learned there were simple step’s I could take to bridge the gap from good intentions to taking intentional action, my results started changing. When I learned to identify the right actions to take that would give me the results I was after…I started seeing faster growth in areas that not only helped me accomplish my goals but first increased my awareness which grew me personally and professionally in the process. When your awareness increases you grow in many ways!
Remember the stat I...
A monthly newsletter keeping you up to date on resources that will help catapult your personal & professional growth process!
Around the first of each month, you'll receive our complimentary Intentional Action For Ongoing Growth newsletter that's packed full of information you can build into your growth journey!
And get access to our lesson called 3 Keys to an Effective Leadership Transition just for signing up!